Re: firefox 1.0.1 and java (fixed)

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> What is the relationship between Fedora/linux and Sun/java and why does
> it seem to be so unfriendly?

There are a number of issues.

One is simply that Sun's Solaris and Red Hat's RHEL are pretty serious
competitors in the enterprise OS market. And there aren't many other
serious players at this level: there's Windows, AIX, HP/UX, and
Novell/SuSE. So there's a fair amount of commercial rivalry there:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19765 .

I strongly suspect that since RHEL is based on Fedora, Sun is not really
interested in improving the Fedora user experience. (On the other hand,
they're still keen that Fedora and RHEL have Sun versions of Java.)

In any case, Sun's affection for Solaris means that it isn't very keen
on any version of Linux.

Another is that Sun's Java is not open source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19935 . This has kept Java out of
Fedora (both Core and Extras), and so there isn't really the
infrastructure there. That means that the Java infrastructure has to
come from the Sun installer, and they haven't got it working well with
the rest of the system.

The medium and long term solution is going to be to reimplement Java,
using no Sun code, and escaping Sun's control. This is being aimed at
FC4.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do