Dell Dimension 8400 and SATA: partly succeeded

Hi,

I have tried to get the SATA harddisk in my Dell Dimension 8400
recognized from Fedora Core 3, and have succeeded manually. (I left the
BIOS setting in the original state (RAID AHCI))

My FC3 is installed on a PATA harddisk which I added myself to the
system. I wanted to be able to see the SATA harddisk to allow for
getting data from the NTFS partition. The only change I really made was
the alias "scsi_hostadapter" in /etc/modprobe.conf:
from
  alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
  alias scsi_hostadapter ahci

Then I did an lsmod, and saw that ata_piix was already loaded, so I
unloaded it, using:
# rmmod ata_piix
and then loading the desired module:
# modprobe ahci
Then I looked if the SATA harddisk was seen from fdisk:
# fdisk -l
And yes, it showed up as /dev/sda with partitions /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2
and /dev/sda3.
After downloading and installing the kernel module for ntfs, I mounted
the C:-drive and could successfully look into files on that drive.

I also changed /etc/fstab to incorporate the mounting of the C:-drive
during boot. After the reboot the SATA disk was not recognized, and thus
the C:-drive was not mounted. I saw that besides the "ahci" module also
"ata_piix" was still loaded, while I had disabled that in modprobe.conf.
Strange, right?

After a recursive grep in /etc I saw that the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
contained this string "ata_piix" also:
:
class: OTHER
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: ata_piix
desc: "Intel Corp. 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA Controller"
vendorId: 8086
deviceId: 2652
subVendorId: 1028
subDeviceId: 0177
pciType: 1
pcidom: 0
pcibus: 0
pcidev: 1f
pcifn: 2
:

After a search on google it appeared that I should not modify the
file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf manually, because it is used by Kudzu. Kudzu
does hardware detection and apparently connects the wrong driver to it.
At least the wrong driver in my case; probably, if I would have set the
BIOS setting for RAID to SATA/PATA, then the setting was correct?!
Apparently the file is also used to determine which modules should be
loaded, and therefore it also loads ata_piix.
Due to the entry in /etc/modprobe.conf also the ahci driver is loaded,
but loading ata_piix and ahci together seems to be a bad idea...

Does anybody know how I could make Kudzu think that it should (only) use
the ahci driver for this hardware?

Aad