Re: dot bz2 dot run files?

On Monday 07 March 2005 21:48, Jared Buck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded a program (game for Linux) that has a file extension that
> ends in .bz2.run - how do I run this file?  I've tried using ./ (like
> you do for configure) and it doesn't work.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to run this program?
>
> Jared
To run a program using ./name the file "name" must have execute permission
turned on.  You can check and change the permissions with most any file
manager.  on the command line use "ls -l name" to display file attributes
including the permissions.  (ll may be used instead; it is an alias for ls
-l)  To change the permissions use chmod, e.g.  chmod u+x name
to turn on execute permission for the user owner of the file.  see chmod(1)
for details.

Turning the execute permission on does not make the file into a program if its
contents is not.  A good way to find out what is in a file is to use the
"file" command, e.g.  file  xxxx.bz2.run
"file" does a good job identifying the contents of a file.  If "file" reports
that your file is an executable of some sort then turn on the execute
permission and try to run it.

paul
--
Paul F. Almquist