Re: [Fwd: Chroot httpd problem]

calvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am trying to chroot my httpd and so far has not been successful getting
the error below when I run it in chroot. I have FC3 and installed httpd,
mysql during installation. I did lsof -p to find out all the files that
httpd needed and copied them over the chroot directory. I changed
user/group to the user/group I want it to run as. The file it is looking
for are both in the original location and the chroot directory. I followed
instruction in chrooting httpd from links I found on google.

Mar  6 02:37:07 www chroot: Syntax error on line 6 of
/etc/httpd/conf.d/auth_mysql.conf:
Mar  6 02:37:07 www chroot: Cannot load
/etc/httpd/modules/mod_auth_mysql.so into server: libmysqlclient.so.10:

Anyone have any idea how I could resolve this problem. I even updated my apache to 2.0.52 hoping it might fix it but still get the same error.

Once you chroot to a specific directory, anything above it in the normal
directory tree is unavailable. That's what "chroot" means..."change
the filesystem root for this process". If you have a process "chroot" to, say /usr/local/apache/htdocs, from that point on the process uses
that directory as "/". You can't go above it. You won't have access to
/usr/lib or /lib or any of that since they're above your "root".

The only way to make it work is to create /usr/local/apache/htdocs/lib
and /usr/local/apache/htdocs/usr/lib and copy the files you need to
those directories.  Then when you chroot to /usr/local/apache/htdocs,
you'll have a "/lib" and "/usr/lib" available to you.  This is called
"being in a chroot jail".  It's a big security enhancement, but to make
it all work, you have to understand just what you're doing.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -