Re: Why I am unable to run these scripts?

On 03.07 10:56, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

I am unable to run acrobat and java jre installers. When i attempt to run './*.bin' or simply './INSTALL', I get the error message 'bad interpreter:permission denied.' What does this signify? These are authentic files from SUN and ADOBE websites.

To find out what interpreter is being used, try the command
head -1 <your file>
this should give you a result that looks like this:
#! <interpreter>
where "<interpreter>" is the interpreter. It's often /bin/sh. Then try the command
<interpreter> <your file>
You'll probably get the same error, and
ls -l <inerpreter>
will give you something like this
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 7 16:44 foo
You can try
chmod +x <interpreter>
however, as installer files generally use /bin/sh, and that has execute permissions (unless your system is seriously broken) it strikes me that its most likely that 'head -1' will yield garbage, suggesting that your downloaded files are corrupted.