Re: x86_64 install

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Jonathan Berry wrote:

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:54:47 -0800, Jay Scherrer <jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried installing Fedora core 3 version x86_64 on a new
Laptop: Asus Z8100
with a mobile AMD 64 memory is 1 gig.

The install went ok but after logging in the system it seemed very
slow. I hadn't yumed it yet untill I try the install for FC3 x386
The install of FC3 x386 went smooth and everything runs faster.
When I config cpan it detects my system as a dual proccesor.
Now I am thinking of yum updating FC3 x386 then ugrade to FC3 x86_64
because during the initial install there were several files that
remained compiled for the x386.

Has anyone else tried FC3 x86_64 or is this the wrong list?

Jay Scherrer

Hi Jay,
I have installed FC3 x86_64 and so have several other people here. There is a dedicated AMD64 list which has a lot less traffic:
but you are welcome to ask questions here though that pertain to Fedora.
I don't think you can upgrade from the x86 version to the x86_64
version. I could be wrong, but I don't see the point. Did you
overwrite your initial x86_64 install? If not, you should definitely
update. How are you determining fast/slow? I don't understand cpan
detecting a dual processor setup, because I very much doubt you have
two CPUs in your laptop. The x86_64 version has compatability
libraries for running 32-bit programs on the 64-bit platform if that
is what you are talking about with the last sentence of your first
paragraph.
Have I answered any of your questions? I wasn't able to get a good
grasp of what you were trying to find out.

Jonathan

I agree with Jonathan. I have the x86_64 version running on my Athlon 64 3500+ machine. You should install the x86_64 version on your laptop as a fresh install, and not as an upgrade. Then update to the very latest packages using either Yum or up2date.

I do believe you must do a fresh install to go to x86_64. You've already established a 32-bit environment, so any updates would be 32-bit.

A warning, however.  Many browser plugins (Flash, to name one) are not
available on x86_64.  I recommend you install the 32-bit
Firefox/Thunderbird/Mozilla so you can get the plugins.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -