Re: Sendmail / Exchange / Mailman - Resources and suggestons

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:46:32 -0500, Tim Holmes <tholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am preparing to implement Mailman and sendmail here on our system to
> be able to manage a few mailing lists -- the base computer is a FC3 Box
> with plenty of horsepower, so I'm not worried there.  My major concerns
> are:
>
> (a) will this cause any problems with our Exchange server that is in the
> same network?

Some coordination will probably be necessary if the two boxes will
be using addresses from the same domain.  Will your sendmail server
be a front-end for exchange, or set up in parallel to it, etc.

Also I'm assuming you know at least the basics of DNS administration.

> (b) finding the proper resources etc for setting both of them up.  I
> will be joining the Mailman and Sendmail lists if I can find them, but
> just looking stuff over it seems a bit daunting-- any hints, tips or
> suggestions that you folks have would be greatly appreciated

I'd start with the mailman documentation at
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/
If you still need more information, you will probably need to dive
into sendmail itself.

If you've never managed sendmail before you've got a lot of
reading ahead of you.  Sendmail is amazingly powerful and
flexible, but also one of the most complex pieces of software.
Without starting a sendmail flamewar, you should definitely
stock up on the appropriate O'Reilly books.  There's two you
will want (http://www.oreilly.com/):

  Sendmail cookbook, Dec 2003
  Sendmail, 3rd ed, Dec 2002

(be sure to get the 3rd ed, and not an earlier one).

Don't worry about reading the whole book, you won't need
most of the esoteric stuff.

There was also an older O'Reilly book titled Managing
Mailing Lists, but it may be out of print or hard to find.  It didn't
cover mailman, but still contains a lot of general mail list
management information.  If you can find this book cheaply,
it is still worth having.

--
Deron Meranda