Re: Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

M. Fioretti wrote:
Greetings,

2) Is there a one stop howto about how to:
       make your (Fedora) PC save as much energy as possible and/or
	           turn all networking off automatically, as soon as
		   no interactive processes are on (maybe including
		   ftp downloads)
       email...) when the user is back to the keyboard.

I know that this is possible, but it would really great to have
everything in one place for non technical users, those who would get
the greatest savings and extra security for this because they use the
computer sparingly. Maybe packaged so that "if you just install this
one script so and so, it will take care of everything automatically"

I will add my opinion on this.

As being discussed in one thread. Linux is not a boot when required OS. It is designed to be run 24/7 and thus may not be the best OS for "saving" money. On the other hand, it also is useful being on 24/7.

In our house, our computer can be used almost anytime during the day or night. Being on is worth the extra electricity costs. Of course the Satellite receivers, VCR and instant on TV uses power as well. The question is how much extra power is the Computer using in whole picture.

Also, we run SETI@Home using BOINC and will be adding other BOINC projects to the mix. This is one way of providing some usage out of our computer when we are not using it. We do this at work as well.

I prefer CRTC monitors over LCD at present. Poor Contrast Ratios for LCD and time lag are two issues that I don't like about LCD. I have an LCD at work and I would replace it in an instant if I could.

I do hate the energy star monitor that shuts off and I am still trying to get it to stay on for a longer period of time. This is only a setting but it is one of those little things that does save energy.

There is always the cost of convenience to look at. I have logged onto the computer for 2 minutes to look up some info and then logged off. How much would the time to wait for booting and then to log on be worth to me and other users?
--
Robin Laing