Re: strange backspace behavior in vim

Ben Steeves wrote:
> For a few months I was using Debian Sarge but I recently re-installed
> Fedora Core 3 (I was running FC2 before installing Sarge).  I removed
> my .gnome, .gnome2, .gconf directories from my home directory but
> other than that my home directory has been consistent through all
> three OSes.
>
> Since installing FC3, however, I've had weird behavior in vim and some
> other instances (e.g., when using Perl's CPAN module shell).  The
> problem is this: when I hit the backspace key, a hex 0x7f is inserted,
> rather than the previous character being removed.  This behavior does
> *not* occur in gvim.

Hmm. Hex 0x7f is ASCII delete, 127. Do you have your terminal configured
correctly? Which terminal? What does
# echo $TERM $LANG
return? How about
# stty -a
?

Can you try creating a new test user? Do they see the problem?

James.
--
E-mail address: james | When did you last back up your system?
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |