Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:19:18 -0500, Rob Miracle <rwm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > While all the reasons for linux not 'feeling' as fast as windows
> > booting are very valid and interesting for me, I am not going to
> > explain all that to my girlfriend. She will just say OK and boot into
> > windows if all that she wants to do is check her hotmail. And, yes,
> > when she powers the machine off, she doesn't care how long it takes-
> > shes not waiting for it. Why can't linux shift some of the things it
> > does during boot to doing them during shutdown?
>
> If it did, it wouldn't be Linux.  I'm sure if you really wanted to hack
> the startup scripts and take things like syslogd, and a hand full of
> other daemons or background them you could save a few seconds.  However,
> Linux's roots is Unix and Unix runs on computers that stay up 24/7.  If
> you don't shutdown, just log off and turn your monitor off, it will be
> as fast, if not faster than Windows.
>
> Rob

I'm not talking about 'a few seconds'.  We have two computers here:
and AMD Duron 1ghz with 512 ram and a P4 1.5ghz with 256 ram. On both
of them XP loads and connects to the internet (cable modem, no router)
in under a minute and 10 seconds. Fedora core 3 takes over two minutes
on the AMD computer. I couldn't install Fedora on the P4 computer, but
SUSE also took what seemed like forever to load and connect.

The fact is, when she loads XP, she sits by and waits for it to load.
On the rare occasion that she is willing to start Fedora, she is not
patient enough to sit by and wait. And I agree: a minute is not enough
time to do anything. But in two I can make it to the kitchen to pour a
drink and open another pack of waffles.

I'm not saying that Fedora in paticular or linux in general HAS to
start faster. I personally dont even care. I'm just saying that if we
want to make it more accessable then it has to start faster. Or at
least appear to. Even if it is doing something in the backgorund that
does not interest the end user.

--
Dotan Cohen
http://English-Lyrics.com