Re: evolution nntp viewing

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 22:02 -0500, Louis Garcia wrote:
> Does evo have full fledged support for nntp?

I don't know if you would call it full fledged, but it works fine here
(using my ISP's news server news.blueyonder.co.uk).

I set up a new mail account in Evolution 2.0.2, but in the Receiving
Mail tab, I set the server type to "USENET news" and pointed it at the
news server.  For sending mail, I used the same settings as my ordinary
mail account.

I then went to Tools / Subscribe to folders and the list of newsgroup
names gradually appeared.  If you connect via a modem connection, this
could take a few minutes.  I subscribed to my chosen newsgroup, then a
news folder (with the name the account I set up for it) appeared below
my inbox (just above the VFolders).  In this folder is the folder with
all the messages for the newsgroup I subscribed to.

Thanks for telling me about this feature; I wouldn't have known it was
there otherwise, and would have gone off and installed another news
reader.

cheers,

Jim Avery