Re: Network Manager: slightly OT

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 21:51, Erik Hemdal wrote:

> > Thanks Erik,
> > I did play with the router and with a restart the connection started
> > working again. Of course I dont know why this affected the FC3 box
> > alone as the Windows PCs were able to get an address with no problem.
> > Well it may have something to do with the fact that the card is not
> > natively supported in Linux. I hope this situation does not repeat, as
> > I do not want to restart the router every two days. It simply is not
> > the solution.
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Ganesh
> >

> Post again if things go awry later, Ganesh.  I'm glad you got it working.  I
> have seen issues like this where one card will work while another won't; or
> Windows will connect while Linux won't or vice versa.
>
> Erik

If the IP address you were using was previously used by another system
the arp table of the router could have cached the other systems MAC
address.  Until that is cleared your system would not be able to get
packets through the router.

Have seen this on networks in the past.  Manually clearing the arp cache
or pinging the workstation from the router would clear problem.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

You shall be rewarded for a dastardly deed.