Re: Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 3, - Gustavo Seabra)

Hi,

For all who are folowing this thread, I created copy of this draft version in a web-page format. Before you look there, please have in mind: 1. I am a *novice* in html, so don't expect much; 2. I basically just wrapped my previous post with HTML tags, to make it look nicer. So you are likely to find there just what is being discussed here. 3. I don't have a web-page. All I have is the space provided by the University for students to put personal web-pages. Thus, the weird link.

Here it goes: http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~seabra/linux/FedoraRules.html

Nice work, Gustavo. You've pulled together a lot of input and packaged it nicely.

Here is a suggestion I offered to James McKenzie off line per his original post on "rules". Place "Google is your friend" in a conspicuous location. That pointer was the single most helpful response I received to questions I posted early in my fedora-list experience. Using search functions in Red Hat/Fedora-list archives was everything BUT productive. Google searches all of the archives plus many other linux related sites.

In pointing newbies to information available on their own systems, you might mention two things. One particularly helpful suggestion I noticed in list traffic was to point KDE's browser, Konqueror, at "man:/" (without the quotes) for man pages in html format and easy to use print capabilities to produce hard copy of selected pages. The default home page in the Mozilla browser (file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html) as distributed in Fedora Core 2 suggests the presence of even more local documentation which is, of course, present and all one needs to do to find it is scale back the url to file:///usr/share/doc/.