Cross-compilation for other architectures

Hello, all -

I was wondering what steps might be involved to port a Fedora release to another architecture, for the purpose of running on a semi-embedded platform.

Are there any tools that are used, or are all packages compiled by hand for the new architecture? If anyone has ever done anything like this before on this sort of scale, I would greatly appreciate their input.

I've done stuff like this by porting misc applications to my Palm Pilot when I was playing around with uClinux, at which time I basically did cross-compile every application I wanted to run on it's m68k platform. Those days are long gone, and I don't recall much from them.

Again, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
-dant