GMail users, unite! (If you are not a GMail user, please ignore this message)

Hi,

We have recently had a discusion about threads. One of the major
problems we GMail users have is the fact that GMail breaks the threads
if the subject line is changed, which means that their "conversations"
are just sorted by subject, not by references as it is in most mail
clients. This can be OK for the day-by-day use, but it's realy an
annoyance for mail-lists, like this one.

I know that many of us has the same complain about GMail, but due to
the other GMail features, still want to keep using GMail. However,
this issue is not even on their "to-do list":
http://www.google.com/gmail/help/whatsnew.html

So, what can we do? The only action suitable for us is to ask GMail
for a feature of following conversations by *reference* instead of
subject. They have a page where we can ask for a feature or complain
to what seems to be a bug:
https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_bugs

So what I ask here is that everyone that uses GMail on this list,
*and* that thinks this threading thing is an annoyance, please to
there and make the suggestion that they use references instead of
subjects to sort the threads, even if this can only be an option.

If enough people ask for it, they may listen.

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680
If at first you don't succeed...
                              ...skydiving is not for you.