Re: More CUPS fun

Mark Haney wrote:
Okay, I'm still dealing with this issue where the CUPS service hangs my
machine on startup.  I finally got around to doing some digging and
here's what I got from /var/log/cups/error_log:

W [20/Feb/2005:12:49:20 -0500] LoadDevices: Backend did not respond
within 30 seconds!

This shows up every time I've tried to re-install the RPMS and when I've
compiled from source.  Does this ring a bell with anyone as to why CUPS
is killing this system?

It rings a bell, but I'm not sure my problem was the same. I was getting a similar error because my Samsung laser printer (ML-1710) installed it's own version of linuxprint in /usr/local. I know these two links were part of the solution, but I don't know if they were the entire solution:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 564840 Dec  1 22:52 llpr
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Dec  2 21:46 llpr.cups -> llpr
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Dec  1 22:52 lpr -> llpr

In 15 minutes of looking, I could not find where in the printconf system these links were referenced. I think I added my solution to a bugzilla report, but Bugzilla has such a byzantine search procedure, I can never find the same report twice.

Anyway, I hope this suggests some approach to fixing your problem.

Andrew Robinson