Re: Relay control in sendmail for roaming users

Paul Howarth wrote:
Bob Brennan wrote:

Since pop-before smtp through Sendmail is very common out there - there must be someone who knows how to make it work step-by-step, or an idiot's guide on how to do it. I understand the reasons for distros to enable Sendmail in a mode that locks out spammers but there must be a secure _working_ mode as well that even a relative newbie can set up and still be secure(?)

My personal preference is to use SMTP AUTH rather than POP-before-SMTP, and to set it up on port 587 (MSA).

I have to agree. Sendmail with authentication is surprisingly easy to set up, and it won't matter what IP address your users are coming in from. If you add SSL (port 465) your users' email will be encrypted during submission as well.

Jan