Re: Kernel Panic

David S. Cole wrote:

I have a machine that has been running fine for several months and all of a sudden it won’t boot with the following error:

8b 35 00 b0 34 c0 b8 00 f0

<0> Kernel Panic: Fatal exception in interrupt

      In interrupt handle – Not Syncing

It’s running Fedora Core 2.6.5-1.350

The disk drive is an IBM drive and I have run the IBM drive fitness test in full test mode and it finds no errors.

I have run memtest86 and it finds no errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

After replacing 200 to 300 IBM/Hitachi drives and also using the drive fitness tools to test these drives, I would say the tests do not test the drive very well. Most of the drives could pass the tests, but fail in operation anyway. The way that I would test the drive is to listen for noises on powerup or disk activity.

I do believe that Hitachi did release some firmware for the drives later for drive problems. I am not sure the firmware upgrade resolved the failures or not.

You might try a different drive type to see if the problem is related to the disk or other factors.

Jim

--
Q: Why is Microsoft's Product Support a failure?
A: Because Microsoft needs a Support Group instead.