Re: Java Media Framework classpath and Openoffice 2.0

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0800 (PST), Mike Zingale
<zingale@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I am struggling to get movies inserted in presentations with the
> development snapshots of openoffice.org 2.0.  In the new OOo version,
> they've switched the media capabilities over to the Java Media Framework.
> A description of this is at:
>
> http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/media_player/MediaPlayer.sxw

Interesting. Maybe the Gnome integration people can build a gstreamer
plugin for it.

Not that I'm holding my breath for office documents with embedded soundtracks ;)

> When I try the diagnostic applet linked to there (after restarting
> mozilla), I get:
>
> JMF classes.....Not Found

Looks like mozilla doesn't know about the CLASSPATH (it's not a global
variable, but depends on the shell you're in).
Maybe you set that classpath variable in the mozilla start script or
the launcher.

> There seems to be a lot of people reporting troubles in getting the Java
> Media Framework working with Linux on various lists, but I have not come
> across any solutions.  Since this is an integral part of the new OOo 2.0
> release, which will eventually become part of Fedora, I am wondering if
> anyone has had any success in getting the JMF applets to work with Fedora.

I don't think Fedora will be integrating JMF since it's not open
source and not freely distributable.
see: http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/license.html

Klaasjan