Re: FC3: ide tape problem with kernel 2.6.10

Craig Goodyear wrote:
I have recently updated my FC3 kernel from 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.10-1.766_FC3. The system has had all available updates applied. I am using a Seagate STT8000A ATAPI tape drive for backup. I am loading the ide-scsi module. Prior to the update, tar and dump both worked without any problems using this tape drive.

Since the kernel update, tar and dump appear to write the files to the tape drive: no error messages are generated during the write and the tape is positioned at the correct block following the write. However, I am not able to restore any of the backup files to the hard disk. Using tar, no errors are returned, and no files are restored. Using restore, the following error is generated: "restore: Tape is not a dump tape."

dump format and tar format are not the same thing. restore only restores dump tapes. If you tried to restore a tar tape, then that message makes absolute sense. To see what's on a tar tape:

	mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
	tar tf /dev/st0

To restore a tar tape with tar:

	mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
	tar xf /dev/st0
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -