OT: hardware changelog software

Our IT department is interested in knowing what system your
organization uses to manage server maintenance and repair logs. We are
currently rethinking the way we record our logs. After discussions
with many of our system administrators, we have decided that we would
like to record:
1.      Major Hardware/Software Failures and Their Resolutions
2.      Server Hardware and Firmware Additions and Changes
3.      Configuration Changes to Operating System and Major Applications
4.      Major, Manual Software/Operating System Upgrades

We would like to keep the recording of each of those types of changes
simple and easy to do.
>From our experience, if it takes too long or too much effort, updates
will not be recorded.
Thus we would like to keep the log entries down to brief, 2-3 sentence
paragraphs.

We're interested in deploying a system to manage the updating,
searching and reporting of logs.  From our requirements, it does not
look like we need a very complex system. What system does your
organization use to manage your logs? Do you know of another
open-source or commercial product that would meet our needs?
--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx