I really do!

I live in a fairly remote area where all I can get is at best 28.8K dialup.
However, this has not deterred me from trying to keep up as best I can.
My store-bought purchase of RH 6.1 has long since been upgraded to
RH9, which I have been dual-booting with W-XPPro quite happily,
after performing the quixotic manual edits of the Makefile, .config et al.
So, I get my kernel to 'see' my NTFS install, and be happy with my
linmodem, and generally behave as a usable system. Now comes the
Catch-22! I buy a copy of the Jan., 2005 DVD edition of 'Linux Magazine'
<online, of course> and Woohoo! I have a bootable Fedora Core 3 DVD.
After a number of false starts, RH9 is upgraded to FC3; except .... As per
all previous releases, I cannot see my NTFS partitions, and I am unable to
get online. Why? Because my modem driver won't compile since I do not
have the kernel source, and NTFS is not supported in the kernel as shipped,
and I can't include NTFS support because.....
So, I guess I'm stuck with the 2.4.20-8 kernel, and the downlevel packages
that RH9 shipped with; in the words of the manic smiling guy riding his tractor
lawn-mower in the commercial, "Please Help Me!"
As long as these types of obstructions are prevalent, the RYGB flag waving
on the vast majority of desktops will continue to prevail.