Re: Audio CD device

> all is well.

> > > joy.  I also
> > > success. I could
> > > page. Should
> the relevant
> > > needed with this

> > > I never had to make a link from /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom, the
> > > system did it. How
> > > did you make the link? Was it ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom? Here is
> > > how my link
> > > looks:
> > > [rmiles@localhost ~]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar  2 01:21 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> > >
> > > Was your cd reader not working? On FC3 systems it is mounted
> at /media.
> > > What does your /etc/fstab look like? Here is mine:
> > > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> > > LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> > >       1 1
> > > LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> > >       1 2
> > > none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> > > gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> > > none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> > >       0 0
> > > none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> > >       0 0
> > > none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> > >       0 0
> > > /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
> > >       0 0
> > > /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> > >
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
> > > /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
> > >
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard E Miles
> > > Federal Way WA. USA
> > > registered linux user 46097
> > >
> > Thanks again Richard, however my specs are analogous to yours.  Yet my
> > system does not make the link.  The "ls -l /dev/cdrom" gives
> File not found.
> > I use "ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom", giving the same permissions
> as in your
> > reply.
> >
> > The CD reader is working: FC3 was installed from there; CD
> Player runs from
> > root (which first gave the pointer to permissions); Music Player plays
> > tracks ripped via Sound Juicer.  Also the cable is connected
> from drive to
> > card.
> >
> > The fstab is essentially the same w.r. to /dev/hdc with the
> exception of the
> > fs_file being /media/cdrom.  The mount options are the same but in a
> > different order. (I did not include the fstab output because I
> am mailing
> > from a windows laptop. The FC3 box does not have the modem
> working yet.  It
> > comes after Samba is up, after the tape drive is going, after the CD.)

> [...]
Data CD's seem to automount without any problems.

The output of the mount command is:
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
ide: failed opcode was 100
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
	or too many mounted file systems

Regards
Simon