Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

Nat Gross wrote:

Hi;
I installed FC3 on a WinXP-sp2 system, whose c: drive was NOT being used (for real), or so I thought. And gave the entire drive, hda, to FC3. I reasoned that since my winXP booted into drive E:, the second drive, hdb, Grub would have no issues with booting Windows. However, although it boots FC3 nicely, when I elect to boot xp, it displays 'rootnoverify (hd1,0) chainloader +1' and stops. Due to the partioning of hdb (as listed below), I have tried hd1,1 as well, with the same results.

<snip>
Ok folks. We have a partial working solution!
Boot from floppy.
1. You need a FLOPPY disk that has been formatted with xp.
2. Copy 3 files, ntdetect.com, ntldr, and boot.ini to it. (Verify the ini file is correct.)
3. Boot from floppy. voila!
The Windows logo (from hard drive) appears in less than 8 seconds.
Actually it works out better (for me now), when I want Windows, pop a floppy, no waiting to hit a key (catch grub timeout) and then choose xp.

THANK YOU ALL.
-nat
ps. I might be celebrating tonite, don't know if I'll respond tonight.