Re: Audio CD device

> > > /dev/cdrom,

> > > Yes udev is changing the permissions. See
> > > /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions. Look for cdrom.
> > > You can create a local rules file 50-local.permissions in the
> > > /etc/udev/permissions.d directory and set your rules there. ie:
> > > cdroms/*:root:disk:0664.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard E Miles
> > > Federal Way WA. USA
> > > registered linux user 46097
> >
> > I created the 50-local.permissions file as suggested, but no
> joy.  I also
> > substituted ...:root:... with ...:$local:... but again no
> success. I could
> > not see reference to the 50-local.permissions file in the man
> page. Should
> > the layout be the similar to 50-udev.permissions, with only the relevant
> > lines? Is a soft or hard link from /dev/hdc -> cdrom still
> needed with this
> > fix?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Simon
> >
> I never had to make a link from /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom, the
> system did it. How
> did you make the link? Was it ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom? Here is
> how my link
> looks:
> [rmiles@localhost ~]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar  2 01:21 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
>
> Was your cd reader not working? On FC3 systems it is mounted at /media.
> What does your /etc/fstab look like? Here is mine:
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
>       1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
>       1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
>       0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
>       0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
>       0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
>       0 0
> /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
>
> --
> Richard E Miles
> Federal Way WA. USA
> registered linux user 46097

Thanks again Richard, however my specs are analogous to yours.  Yet my
system does not make the link.  The "ls -l /dev/cdrom" gives File not found.
I use "ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom", giving the same permissions as in your
reply.

The CD reader is working: FC3 was installed from there; CD Player runs from
root (which first gave the pointer to permissions); Music Player plays
tracks ripped via Sound Juicer.  Also the cable is connected from drive to
card.

The fstab is essentially the same w.r. to /dev/hdc with the exception of the
fs_file being /media/cdrom.  The mount options are the same but in a
different order. (I did not include the fstab output because I am mailing
from a windows laptop. The FC3 box does not have the modem working yet.  It
comes after Samba is up, after the tape drive is going, after the CD.)

Pointing CD Player to /media/cdrom gives:
"Error Setting Device
does not point to a valic CDRom device. This may be caused by:
a)CD support not present (N/A)
b)You do not have the correct permissions to access the CD drive (This error
still given both before and after chmod 664 /dev/hdc)
c)/media/cdrom is not the CD drive" (works with /dev/cdrom when permissions
set).

I hope this points to a solution.
Regards
Simon.