X crashes when logging in via gdm

Hey Everyone,

I have two problems:

1) One user on a FC2 box cannot log via the default-session.  She can
log in via GNOME (which _is_ the default ?!?!?!) when she gets prompted
to suggest she make this the default via switch-desktop.  She cannot
change via switch desktop, looks like some file she doesn't have
permission to write to...  What could it be?

2) I updated an FC2 box to FC3, and now it seizes up whenever a gnome
application is run.  Gdm runs fine, but logging into anything but the
failsafe-default session locks the computer up.  If I launch gnome-
session, or a gnome app from the failsafe-session xterm that will lock
the machine up.  I can ssh -Y into the machine and run gnome apps just
fine...  I think there is some weirdness with the install not updating
all the packages (the old FC2 kernels were not deleted by the upgrade).
I cannot find any helpful error messages in Xorg.log, /tmp/xses*
or /var/log/messages...   Any hints?

Thanks,
-P.

--
Peter L. Hurd                                  Department of Psychology
Assistant Professor                               University of Alberta