Re: Audio CD device

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:42:20 +1100
"Simon Slater" <sslater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:48:47 +1100
> > "Simon Slater" <sslater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > For audio CD's to play on FC3, I have soft linked /dev/hdc ->
> > /dev/cdrom,
> > > changed the permissions of /dev/hdc from 660 to 664 and all is well.
> > > However after each boot the permissions return to 660.
> > >
> > > -Do I need a script to continually change this?
> > > -Why do the permissions revert to 660?  Is this udev??
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > > Simon Slater
> > >

> > Yes udev is changing the permissions. See
> > /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions. Look for cdrom.
> > You can create a local rules file 50-local.permissions in the
> > /etc/udev/permissions.d directory and set your rules there. ie:
> > cdroms/*:root:disk:0664.
> >
> > --
> > Richard E Miles
> > Federal Way WA. USA
> > registered linux user 46097
>
> I created the 50-local.permissions file as suggested, but no joy.  I also
> substituted ...:root:... with ...:$local:... but again no success. I could
> not see reference to the 50-local.permissions file in the man page. Should
> the layout be the similar to 50-udev.permissions, with only the relevant
> lines? Is a soft or hard link from /dev/hdc -> cdrom still needed with this
> fix?
>
> Thanks
> Simon

I never had to make a link from /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom, the system did it. How
did you make the link? Was it ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom? Here is how my link
looks:
[rmiles@localhost ~]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar  2 01:21 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

Was your cd reader not working? On FC3 systems it is mounted at /media.
What does your /etc/fstab look like? Here is mine:
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0