Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

Nigel Wade wrote:

Nat Gross wrote:

The reason for this is that once upon a time, Win did in fact use drive C: as its home drive, and the second drive was 'extra'. Then one day, that install of win crashed and burned and cost me two weeks, (and I switched to Linux on my other machine), so when I re-installed Win, I used my second drive as the main guy, and just left drive C:, waiting for Linux.... And here I am.

This may be the root of the problem.

No no. The root of the problem is that even though I had this major Windows crash back then, I still went back to it! (i did switch my other machine to Linux though. Should have switched both.)

I think this is what Windows XP does at installation. It scans for active partitions to see if there is another Windows installation. If it thinks it's found one it leaves it active as the default boot partition. Rather than install the bootloader info on the new partition it installs it on the existing, active, partition and configures it to include the newly installed Windows XP.

If you subsequently move the boot disk or overwrite that partition you lose your ability to boot Windows.

This explains it, then.

Is there a way to fix this? Not sure. Someone else suggested fixboot from rescue mode on the Windows XP CD. It's worth a try.

I just hope that it wont blow grub (and drag fc3 with it) away.
Thanks,
-nat