Re: Reducing Load on Amavisd-new/Spamassassin/Antivir

Am Mi, den 02.03.2005 schrieb Dale Sykora um 18:40:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > The problem with your idea about tagging mail as clean is that "the bad
> > side" will fake such signatures. So in general it is no good idea to
> > trust mail header tags in general like mail body signature strings.
>
> Alex,
> 	Thanks for the reply.  In your opinion, is it cryptologically feasable
> to generate a signature system that cannot be easily faked?  It seems
> that if rpms can be verified against GPG keys, then the same could be
> applied to email.  Would this be sufficient security?  I do not know,
> but I believe it is worth discussion.

> Dale

Dale,

I didn't want to state that a secure signature is impossible, just that
it is not simple to do it safe. If you look around what spammers
implement to get their messages through the walls it is obvious that a
solution must be fake protected.
Maybe something like "pgpcontrol" from ISC could be adopted for mail
systems:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/pgpcontrol/

The question is then: is such a solution less resources consuming like
doing the virus testing your own?

A different aspect is that anti-virus scanners are not perfect. So there
is the chance that a new or mutated virus / worm can slip through on the
central checking side while it would be detected by the individual mail
recipient, running a different virus scanner.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:01:06 up 9 days, 6:09, load average: 0.82, 0.50, 0.39