Re: Website info request

Henry Hartley wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 at 11:49 AM, Age said:

I want to start using Linux and at this stage Fedora is the one I
would like to give a try.

When browsing the website I found that 2 important things are
missing:

- Package info
I wasn't able to find a page which gave me some info about what
each disc actually contains. Are all 4 disc necessary to be able
to install Fedora? Since the distribution is 4 disc big in total,
providing this info might reduce the amount of downloads if not
all disc are realy necessary.

You can see a list of packages:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora
/RPMS/

although that won't tell you what is on which CD.  A minimal install
doesn't require all the CDs but you're probably better off just biting
the bullet and getting them all.

Too bad...
Any chance that the packages are going to be grouped onto the different disc a bit more in the future to be able to tell beforehand which cd's you rely need and which you can exclude? Downloading all discs isn't realy a problem for me, it just saves some resources (less downloads, less disc have to be burned, etc.).

- Support
There is no obvious location on the site with support info. I'm
not even sure this mailing list is the one I should send this
stuff to. A page with at least mailing list info would be handy
to have.

Information on the various mailing lists is here:
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/communicate/

Pick a mailing list from that page and you'll get, among other things, a
link to the list archives.  This does seem like the right one for
questions of this sort.

That's what I was looking for! Cheers :-)
Maybe it's an idea to create a section excluding the dev info and placing it under the About section or something as well. It just seems a bit more obvious to me.

At this stage there aren't any docs available about how to
install/use Fedora, only docs about how to write docs, am I
right?  This was a bit confusing to me.  It might be usefull
to say this on the website to prevent people from getting
confused or to prevent unnecessary digging in the site in
case they think it's "hidden" somewhere by accident.

There are a few sources of documentation.  I'd start with the release
notes:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

The unofficial Fedora FAQ is also a useful site:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/

and of course, a LOT of questions get answered on this list so the
archives are a good source for problem resolution:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

If you don't find answers in any of those locations (or a Google
search), post specific questions here and you'll get either an answer or
a pointer to an answer.  I hope that helps and welcome to the world of
Fedora Core.

Haha, thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated.
Again, maybe it's a good idea to create a Link section as well with these kind of external resources.

Age