Re: no desktop

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:52:20 +0000, Simon <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I came onto the computer this morning I found that gnome-panel was
> taking 99% cpu for no apparent reason. I rebooted and the system went
> down and back up successfully. When I log in though, everything loads
> apart from the desktop. It stays the default blue colour instead of
> with it by right clicking (nothing happens). Im a bit stumped really as
> I cant find any error messages anywhere.

The previous poster has the right idea btw.  Which is unfortunate
because you lose all your settings.  You should really not have to
reboot to resolve this.

I have had this happen to me occasionally, once a year or so since I
have been using gnome for like 5 years on average.

It is usually resolved by logging out (not rebooting) and then doing
the CTRL+ALT+F6

for a terminal login.

Then you do a ps -ef | grep <username>

Whack all the gnome related processes still running under your name.

Then you can log back in and everything should be fine.