Re: local httpd server setup

James A. Feister wrote:
Developing a web page that uses http and cgi. have a full install of fc3.
Am trying to set up my box so that I may localy
develop the website in my /home/james/www/ folder with
all modifications done directly in that folder. I can
only test the cgi scripts if they are run on a server.
But to do that I would have to copy the files to my
/var/www/html dir everytime I updated something. How
can I set up a hostname like ´seaport´ that I would
type into my browser and bring up the site I am
working on in my /home/james/www/ dir.
Any insite would be helpfull.

James: The easiest thing to do is to set up a virtual host for Apache. Edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and look at the sample virtual host configuration near the bottom of the file. Create a new one called "seaport" that points to your working directory. Make sure you set it so it's listening only on 127.0.0.1:80. Once you've got httpd set, edit /etc/hosts and add "seaport" to the list of names for 127.0.0.1.

--

   Steve