FC3 Gnome apps access / but only under other desktops ??

I seem to be running into all kinds of weird problems, and here is
another one:
Some users on our university systems are running into problems after the
upgrade to FC3. It seems that Gnome applications (or actually
applications that use the Gnome file dialogs, including OpenOffice.org
and Firefox) have the nasty tendency to access the / directory when the
file dialog pops up. But this only happens under other desktop
environments (KDE, XFCE, twm), not on Gnome itself.

The problems with it is two-fold: on some systems, we have set / to be
only executable for non-root users. This is normally fine, and it
prevents users from poking around in areas where they have no
business. Looked like an ideal setup for student computer labs at the
time, and worked flawlessly under FC1 and 2. However, now with FC3 this
results in a glibc "double free or corruption" error.
The other side of the problem: when / is accessible to the user, as it
is on most systems, opening the file dialog will somehow try to make a
listing of all mount points configured in automount, and we have a lot
of those, so this may take quite some time, just for opening a file dialog.

Now the strange thing is that everything works fine for Gnome users.
Does anyone have some clues on what is going wrong with gnome
applications running in other environments? Why do they then need access
to / and can that be configured somewhere? Will it help to start any of
the additional programs that gnome starts on login (gconfd-2 or so)?

David Jansen