Re: Browse Samba server from XP

hey,

for accessing the samba from the Windows Xp or any windows Client you
need to give the username and password..

Just like windows have users ,linux also have users and samba also have users .

You have to use linux users as samba users like

suppose there is a user name john on linux and john1 on windows.And
you want john1 on windows to use john's shares on linux

u have give entry in the /etc/samba/smbusers

john(linux user) = john1(windows user)

In this way u have to give entry for each windows user u want to give access.

After entring the users in smbusers

Give smbpasswd -a john(linux user)

The smbpasswd entry will ask to enter the samba passwd and you need to
give this password(entered with smbpasswd) for accessing the share
from windows.

When u click on the samba share from windows give username john and
password for john(set by smbpasswd).

You have to create password and mapping for every user in linux for
accessing the linux shares from windows.

Restart the samba after adding entries

service smb reload or restart.

It is better you give security = user in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file

If you need any further details revert back.

Regards

Ankush