Re: Webmin / Usermin and port blocking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:49:23 -0500 (EST), Mike Burger
<mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > You can do so by configuring Apache using mod_proxy or mod_rewrite.
> > Please see the Apache documentation. As an *untested* guideline:
> >
> > a) mod_proxy
> >
> >     ProxyVia On
> >     ProxyPass /webmin http://localhost:10000
> >     ProxyPassReverse /webmin http://localhost:10000
> >
> > b) mod_rewrite
> >
> >     RewriteEngine On
> >     RewriteRule ^/webmin(.*) http://localhost:10000/$1 [P,L]
> >     RewriteRule ^proxy:.*  -  [F]
> >
> > This is given that Apache does server other sites too on standard HTTP
> > port 80.
>
> I can't speak for mod_proxy, but using mod_rewrite won't work.
>
> Using mod_rewrite literally tells the web browser to rewrite the requested
> URL and ask for it...meaning that he'd point at http://some.domain.com,
> and apache would tell the browser to resend the request, but this time to
> http://some.domain.com:10000.
>
> Assigning a different port to webmin, or port redirection via NAT would
> seem to be his only options.
>
> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org

mod_proxy does work, entered exactly as Alexander wrote it above, but
only for the initial login page, in which I can successfully log in.

But after that I get "http://myserver.net/session_login.cgi"; as the
url in the browser address field, and (as expected):

404 Not Found
The requested URL /session_login.cgi was not found on this server

I would guess that I now need to locate where the Usermin files are
and Alias the directory in httpd.conf.(?) I guess my main problem is
not understanding how or why some web services use port access rather
than sub-directories; and more importantly how that works...

bob