unmounting floppies

I'm running FC3 with a KDE desktop.  Recently, I've been having problems
unmounting floppy disks.  Regardless of whether I use the right mouse
button on the "Floppy" icon to unmount the disk or use the command
"umount /media/floppy" in a terminal window I get the message:
"/media/floppy device is busy" twice.  (Why twice anyway?)  I've tried
using the command "fuser /dev/fd0" to locate processes accessing the
disk and this gives me a pid -- but when I try killing the process a new
pid replaces it.  The only way out seems to be rebooting... which just
doesn't seem right!

Is this a bug or something "hanging on" in my system?  Does anyone have
a suggestion for troubleshooting this further?