Re: List Rules -- How about gmane?

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:16:44 -0600, David Hoffman wrote:

> There was a discussion about moving from a listserver format to a news
> format last month, and there were a bunch of people who were against
> that because they simply don't like going to a news reader to look at
> these messages.
>
> That being said, gmane does give people the flexibility to decide if
> they want to use it or not.

If any particular posters prefer email, more power to them; I never meant
to say otherwise. But there is a difference in that you may not get the
usual welcome message -- or not know to save it where you can find it.

[....]
> The most recent subject we have been discussing is the concept of
> changing a subject line to indicate a resolution for a problem. While
> that might work in a forum type environment, it still causes there to
> be multiple threads resulting from the same issue. Even gmane breaks
> threads like this sometimes.

OK, that's news to me. I've certainly seen threads it didn't break, where
the post beginning with [SOLVED] really stands out; I'm sorry to hear
that the other kind happens. I wonder what determines which ....

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1 & YDL 4.0