Re: Strange email?

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 12:03, David Hoffman wrote:
>On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:53:28 -0500, Gene Heskett
>
><gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I received this email from my FC2 box this morning.  What can be
>> made of this?
>> Site list is missing: mailman
>> -------------------------
>> I've not setup mailman to do anything, didn't even know it was
>> installed, (everything else apparently is using sendmail) but
>> having it suddenly decide to mail me my passwords would appear to
>> be one hell of a security breach.
>>
>> The only "new" software installed recently have been inhouse built
>> versions of the utils that come with an pcHDTV-3000 card, and the
>> boinc/einstein stuffs.
>
>The same thing will happen on the first of next month too. Mailman
>(apparently by default) sends out a password reminder message to all
>members of a list at the beginning of each month.
>
>This message is the result of the cron job that failed because
> mailman is not configured with any lists. It couldn't find the
> lists to process password reminders for, so the script died and
> since you are the admin, you got the message about the cron job
> failure.

Which doesn't really seem to address the issue.  Nothing that should
have effected mailman has ever been done here, and thats the first
message like that I've ever seen.  I've been using linux exclusively
since rh5.1 days.  This upgrade to FC2 is now much of a year old.

Maybe I didn't word the query to the list correctly.  It should have
noted that I've done nothing (that I know of) to start mailman, so
why, on 1 mar 2005 do I get the message?

The history goes all the way back to april 1997 and its never sent me
such an email before.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)