Re: device assignment for targus USB port replicator?

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 06:22:02 -0500 (EST), Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   is there somewhere a short writeup on device allocation/assignment
> for a targus USB port replicator?  (that is, single USB port expansion
>
>   2 USB ports
>   2 PS/2 ports
>   serial port
>   parallel port
>
> i can see numerous messages generated in /var/log/messages when i plug
> one in, but i'm still trying to parse what special device files i'd
> use to refer to each new port.  thanks.

Supposing the device does not need special drivers, I guess the USB
ports are just connected to an internal hub and should work without
drivers. You can test them by plugging in a known supported device.
The PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse I guess) can work out of the box.
I'm using a Belkin PS/2 to USB converter which didn't require driver
changes. Make sure you're using the correct ports for keyboard and
mouse (they are different).
The first USB to serial converters registers as /dev/ttyUSB0, printer
devices as /dev/usblp0, but maybe the port uses another protocol.
It would help to have the log messages ;)

Klaasjan