Re: Any Product like SUS (Software update service)?

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:37:02 +0200 (EET), Ceyhun KIRMIZITAS
<ceyhun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I.m used to managing redhat servers running free versions of RH.
> I started to deploy RH servers running AS3.2 and  I am a little confused
> about what is the best way to keep uptodate my fedoras and ASs.
>
> the Microsoft SUS can do followings:
> 1- SUS allows customers to install a service that can download all
> critical updates and security updates and service packs as they are posted
> to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site
>
> 2- When administrators have approved these updates, SUS will automatically
> make them available to all preconfigured servers running Microsoft Windows
> Serverâ 2003 and Windows 2000, as well as to desktops running Windows XP
> Professional and Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> What are you guys out there using?

Are you asking about Fedora, or are you asking about AS3.2? This is
the Fedora List.

In any case, YUM can be configured to run as a cron job and will
automatically download and update packages every night. There is no
administrative interface like SUS for someone to approve the packages.
If that is what you are looking for, then I would suggest not using
the cron job, and instead have your administrators execute an rsh
command to each machine that they want an update to take place on.
They can easily send a command telling Yum to update a particular
package.

So if there is an update for a package called "david", they can
execute "yum -y update david" which will download the update, and
install it, and the "-y" tells it not to ask for confirmation before
doing the upgrade.

Success can be determined by looking at the /var/log/yum.log file.

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)