Re: Difficulty getting a large disk mounted

This was an extremely useful tip.  Thank you very much Robert!!

Here's what happened :
Recall that I'm trying to get FC3 with Gnome to recognize a 60G
drive that had had a Win98 partition made with EZ-Drive.  There
was also an old RH9 partition as well.  All were vfat/fat32 formats
(it appears), but only one of the partitions (the first Win98 one)
would be recognized.

I download TESTDISK and ran the diagnostics.  The program said there
was a mismatch between the stated number of heads per cylinder (16) and
the actual number (255).

When I sent the log report to the program's author asking for advise, he
suggested that I re-run TESTDISK, change the geometry setting to reflect
the 255 heads and - if all the partitions are still found after analyzing the disk - write the partition and reboot.

So - I figured - what the heck.

I made the suggested changes (logged in as root) and changed the /etc/fstab file to reflect the new mappings. Upon reboot, there were
some messages about FAT32 support still being Alpha, but sure enough
all the drives were now found and all the files seem readable (after randomly selecting a few).

Again, Robert, thank you very much for this suggestion - it seems to have worked perfectly.

Now to figure out how to get Thunderbird to recognize Pegasus mailboxes
without going back into Windows land ...

Cheers,
Matt

>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:26:08 -0600
>From: Robert <kerplop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>