Re: List Rules

Hacksaw wrote:
This is actually a misinterpretation of a much better idea: When replying to a message, quote the relevant passage you are replying to as concisely as possible, preceeding each line with a non alphanumeric, preferably '>', then add your reply in plain text.

Repeat as necessary.

Good suggestion. Thank you for it.

3. Search the list archives before posting a question.

This leads me to another important suggestion. To aid in the searching, please write subject lines that concisely tag the message. For instance, if you are having a problem getting past the partitioning phase of an install of FC3, don't set the subject to "Install Fails", set it to "Can't get past partitioning on FC3".

Again, I will add this.

Two other suggestions come to mind here. First is that you probably shouldn't call it "List Rules". It might be better to call it "Suggestions to ensure the widest readership of your question or problem." This gets the goal across nicely.
The eventual goal is to send these to Red Hat management to be adopted and send to 'new' list members and to be made available on the Fedora web site. This is why I posted them to the list for refinement by the members of the list.

The second is that ad hominem attacks probably won't result in positive action. In fact, in the old days, a million years ago in Internet time, we called those sorts of posts "Trolls".
This is the number one reason that we need 'guidelines' on acceptable conduct. One of those guidelines is to leave moderation of the list to the moderators. I've seen many messages about 'rule' infractions, but no published rules to back them up.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc4, Software Suspend 2