Re: Network Manager

On Sat, 2005-26-02 at 14:09 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 23:12 -0700, David Donnelly wrote:
>
> > Not sure if I should ask this here but what the heck. What are your
> > issues with NetworkManager. I am actually stunned / impressed that this
> > works using ndiswrapper. Which driver(s)are you using that aren't
> > working?
>
> My card has an Intersil/Prism 2 chipset and uses the orinoco_cs driver.
> The driver currently does not support scanning, which largely reduces
> the usefulness of NM, but even when I enter my details manually NM fails
> to connect to my access point. Dan has confirmed that this is purely a
> driver issue, and hopefully the next release of orinoco_cs will address
> many of these issues.
>
> Actually, I am not stunned that NM works using ndiswrapper. NM needs
> good, well-written drivers. ndiswrapper gives you access to Windows
> drivers, i.e. drivers written by people who actually had the hardware
> specs and technical details of whatever it is they're writing a driver
> for. Most linux drivers are written by people who do not have similar
> access. Dan has said on more than one occasion that the biggest problem
> with NM is that linux wireless drivers suck.
>
> Best, Darren

I concur that the windows driver will support all the bells and
whistles. I guess what surprised me was that NM actually got these
features out of ndiswrapper.I have found in the past that while
ndiswrapper provided basic functionality, the other features supported
by the card such as scanning and/or polling didn't work. We can dream of
the day that all hardware makers provide linux support.

Regards,
David Donnelly