Re: Boot failure after update

Chris Birchenhall wrote:
Hi guys. I have successfully loaded Core 3 onto two machines. All went very smoothly until I updated on my Sony desktop. After the first update (kernel and kernel-utils) the system hung during boot up. Fearful I had done something silly I did a clean rebuild. Again went smoothly until I updated; same problem, system hung during boot up. Any clues why I am having this problem? Chris

Updating a kernel will, by default, leave the original kernel in place so that you can still boot using it in the event of a problem with the new kernel. You have to press some key during the boot-up process (I forget which one, but you are prompted to press it to enter the grub menu IIRC), at which point you should get a menu of the two kernels to boot from. Just select the older one with the up/down arrow keys and press enter to boot it.

So did the update break both kernels or just the new one?

Paul.