Re: Unable to log in user - This gets serious

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 20:23 +0100, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Bob Chiodini wrote:
> | On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 21:39 +0100, Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:

> |>SNIP
> |>|
> |>Hi again,
> |>now I get worried.  I am still not able to log in with the established
> |>user ids.  Also, I am unable to create and use new user ids - well i can
> |>create but get the same errormessage.  The only one working is root.
> |>Is this a weakness with this distribution or with Linux?  Am I at risk
> |>(of course I am) that this will happen to pcs with FC3?  Now I don't
> |>risk doing an upgrade and reboot of this "live" machine.
> |>
> |>Regards,
> |>Truls
> |

> | Truls,
> |
> | This sounds like something is wrong with the permissions on one of the
> | following /tmp/.ICE-unix, /tmp/.X0-lock, /tmp/.X11-unix.  When I've had
> | problems logging into X as normal users, I've deleted these files and
> | directories from /tmp.  ctrl-alt-F1, login as root, init 3, then delete
> | the above mentioned files and directories, init 5 and try logging in as
> | a normal (non-root) user to GDM.
> |
> | A couple of other thoughts:  The /tmp/.font-unix directory may also
> | contribute.  Stop xfs before deleting that one.  Lastly, I hope, the
> | gconfd-<user-name> directories can also safely be deleted in init level
> | 3.
> |
> | Since it happens to all of your non-root users it's not likely a home
> | directory problem, unless the permissions or ownership of the home
> | directories or /home itself are messed up.  /home should be
> |
> |         drwxr-xr-x  8 root root 4096 Dec 28 07:30 /home
> |
> | and as Alexander pointed out /tmp should be:
> |
> |         drwxrwxrwt  15 root root 4096 Feb 23 19:21 /tmp
> |
> | I would not have thought an upgrade would have corrupted any of these.
> | More likely a system or X crash.
> |
> | Bob...
> |
> Hi,
> first; I am able to log in with my userid in terminal. Then, loging in
> as root running init 3 stop at: Starting anacron: [OK]
>
> I'm starting to doubt that this can be solved and that I might as well
> reinstall FC3???
>
> Does anyone have an idea how voulnerable FC3 is to this kind of problem?
>
> Regards,
> Truls

Truls,

Logging into a console as a non-root user is typical, meaning something
X alone is corrupted.

Did you delete the suggested files and directories from /tmp?  The
Starting... messages after switching to init level 3 are normal,
carriage return should get you a prompt.  If not Alt-CTRL-F1 again and
hit return.

As to your vulnerability question.  I cannot remember having this
problem in FC3.  I may have seen it in FC2 and earlier RedHat releases,
but it was usually traceable to a system or X crash.  I would not say it
is a show stopping vulnerability.

Bob...