Re: Wireless PCMCIA Cards

Craig Thomas wrote:

More than a vendor, what really matters is the chip set used in the
wireless card. And different models from the same vendor _may_ and
_often_ use different chip sets for different manufacturing runs of the
same model card. The specific model/version number should help you
determine the chip set manufacturer.

Finding out the chip set manufacturer is the easy way to know if the
card will work or not.  Drivers work with specific chip sets.

It has been awhile [my wireless card is an older linksys wpc11 prism
based--newer ones don't work I'm told], but a quick google turns up some
useful looking results:

http://www.wlug.org.nz/WirelessChipsets

HTH,

I researched the board, phoned the vendor and got lied to.

I asked specifically if they used the prism chipset and was told they did. When I got the board, it had the Atheros chipset. It also had a ridiculous hard wired antenna cable about 3 ft long protruding from the board. No way to disconnect it. That wasn't obvious from the vendors web site either.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx