Re: Firewalled print server

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 20:35 -0500, Louis Garcia wrote:
> I was trying to fix a printing problem and found out I can't print from
> a fc3 workstation to a fc3 server using cups and ipp if the server is
> firewalled. The server is using the default rh iptables script and a
> quick cat through the file shows port 631 open. I would like to keep the
> server firewalled and still have remote printing. I believe a simple
> tweak of the iptables script will do the trick. Any suggestions?
>
> -Louis

Try to do the following:

Connect to the print server using a web browser by using the IP address
of the print server followed by :631.  This should give you the CUPS
Admin Page.

Print a test page while running Ethereal on the network interface of the
server.  This will give you information as to what exactly the firewall
is blocking.  This solved a print server problem I was having.

If you are trying to print using UNIX legacy commands, then you need to
open port 515 on the server as well.

If you still have not solved the issue, post your iptables script.

Ian