Re: Samba Question -- Users cannot access home directories-- FOLLOWUP

Tim Holmes wrote:
Tim Holmes wrote:

After restarting samba, I can now browse to the tholmes folder, as

well

as the two other shares (html and www), but I cannot write to any of
the, nor can I FTP files into them -- I think we are making

progress,

and I suspect that at this point we have a permission problem that

needs

to be resolved

Try running the "smbstatus" command on your samba server after connecting to it. It'll show the current list of connections,

including

the usernames it is using. Check to see that it's got the right

username

and isn't using the guest account (e.g. "smbnobody").

Paul.

[Tim Holmes wrote]

Paul:

Here is the output of the command

smbstatus
WARNING: The "only user" option is deprecated
Samba version 3.0.10-1.fc2
PID Username Group Machine
7964 MCASCHOOL\tholmes MCASCHOOL\Domain Users 192.168.0.133
(192.168.0.133)
Service pid machine Connected at
tholmes 7964 192.168.0.133 Thu Feb 24 06:42:05 2005
No locked files

That was run from the root prompt via a vnc connection to my samba box -- If you need me to do it a different way, please let me know

The samba server has authenticated you as user "MCASCHOOL\tholmes". This is different from the username "tholmes", so by default it will not be able to write to the home directory of user "tholmes".

One way to work around this is to use a username map (/etc/samba/smbusers) containing lines like this:

tholmes = MCASCHOOL\tholmes

This would handle the authentication for MCASCHOOL\tholmes but then use the account tholmes instead of creating a new one for MCASCHOOL\tholmes.

You'd need to do that for all users that have a home directory on your server that you want them to be able to access. There's almost certainly a much better way of doing it (e.g. by auto-creating home directories for users such as MCASCHOOL\tholmes when they connect), but I don't know what it is.

Paul.