New game? - Cpufreq tag?

I am having to stepdown my cpufrequency periodically with the applet. The problem seems to be related in some way to gam_server and gnome-settings..
If I allow the cpu to stay at the maximum cpufrequency, my laptop would get hot enough to go into shutdown.

Overall, the system responsiveness is comparative to running RHL 6.x with mozilla and playing mp3s on a 166 MHz computer.

With the frequency at maximum or the frequency of the cpu reduced to 34%, it is about the same responsiveness at either cpu frequency.

Any help appreciated. When the computer really gets slow, is when the cpu switches into max speed.

Jim

-- Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. -- Howard Aiken