Re: sudo in terminal

Matt Morgan wrote:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:13:07 -0500, H. Crissman
<hcrissman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I "vi example.file" the text inside the file is color coded based
on format (ie. commented out lines are blue). But when I "sudo vi
example.file" that color coding is lost. How can I enable that when I
edit a file using sudo? It really helps when you are looking at a long
config file.

This is a wild guess. Maybe the paths are different when you sudo, and you're getting a different vi when you sudo? There's only one vi on my current FC3 system but in the past, on other linuxes and Unixes, I've occasionally had multiple ones installed. Try

which vi

as yourself and as root (get there with su -) and see if they're different.

Thanks for the reply. That does not appear to be it. I get the same path for both. Any other ideas?

H. Crissman